- Sell building and do-it-yourself products and materials
- You could work at a builder's yard or at a store
- You could progress to supervisor or manager
- Giving product information to customers
- Loading and unloading deliveries by hand or with a forklift truck
- Processing orders and handling payments
- Moving goods to storage areas
- Putting orders together and organising deliveries and advising customers about which materials to use
You could work at a builder's yard or at a store. Your working environment may be physically demanding and outdoors in all weathers and you may need to wear protective clothing.
This role would be ideal for someone with good customer service skills, the ability to work well with their hands and works well under pressure.
You could apply directly to work as a builders' merchant. You may find it useful to have GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), including maths and English. Experience in construction, warehousing or retail could also be helpful.
For some jobs you'll need to have a C1 licence to drive trucks up to 7.5 tonnes. You might also need to have a forklift truck driver training.
You could also get into this job through a trade supplier intermediate apprenticeship.
With experience, you could progress to supervisor or manager.