Job type


£16k - £35k

Typical salary

18 – 39

Hours per week

Childminders care for babies, toddlers and children in their own home, and support their learning and development

More info

  • Requires sensitivity and understanding, patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
  • With further training, option to become a tutor on childminding courses
  • The role can be physically demanding, involving lifting and carrying

A childminder will look after other people's children in their own homes, either one-on-one or in groups of two to four. Childminders are primarily responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the children they are employed to look after, and also to assist in the child’s learning and development


  • Providing inspirational learning activities
  • Providing a range of free play activities, both indoors and outside
  • Planning, preparing and serving meals
  • Changing nappies and making up bottles for babies
  • Taking children on outings
  • Taking older children to and from playgroup or school
  • Working with other local childcare professionals to support children's learning and development 

Your salary will vary depending upon where you live and the number of children that you look after. You may be paid an hourly rate per child, and if you are self-employed you will need to consider your overheads.


Your working environment will predominantly be in your own home, so you will need to ensure that you have clean and tidy spaces for the children, and you may also be outdoors some of the time. This role is physically and emotionally demanding.

You'll need

This role is ideal for someone with sensitivity and understanding, patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations. For this role you will need to pass enhanced background checks and medical checks.

You'll need to get a childcare qualification, and certificates in health and safety, and safeguarding before you register as a childminder.

If you want to care for children under 8 for more than 2 hours a day, you'll need to register with OFSTED. Before you register, you'll usually need a childcare qualification approved by your local council, a paediatric first aid course, training in safeguarding children and training in food hygiene. You will need to budget for these requirements.

Your first step is to look at Ofsted’s pre-registration briefing on becoming a childminder. Your local council may also be able to give you advice and financial help on setting up your childminding business.

You are likely to be self-employed. The Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) runs courses and has information on how to become a childminder.


With experience you could expand your business and take on a childcare assistant. You could also become a network coordinator, supporting other local childminders.

With further training you could become a tutor on childminding courses. You could also move into a related job like nursery worker, play-worker, community play leader or teaching assistant.