- Use water to cleanse the colon of waste products and toxins
- Option to train in other therapies like aromatherapy and massage
- Job may involve evening and weekend appointments to meet the needs of your patients
- Inserting a tube filled with filtered water (warmed to body temperature) into the client's body
- Repeatedly flushing the tube with water to cleanse the colon and rid the body of any waste products
- Massaging the client's abdomen and other pressure points
- Disposing of any fluids
- Preparing the room and sterilising equipment
- Advising clients about ways to improve their health, diet and lifestyle
- Referring clients onto doctors or other health professionals if necessary
You may provide evening and weekend appointments to meet the needs of your patients. Sessions take around 90 minutes. You'll usually work in private consulting rooms and will usually need to wear a uniform or tunic.
This role is ideal for someone with sensitivity and understanding, who enjoys working with other people and has a listening and a non-judgemental approach.
To become a colon hydrotherapist you will need to pass enhanced background checks.
You can do recognised training through a professional body like the Association of Registered Colon Hydrotherapists, Register of Integrative Colon Therapists and Trainers and The Institute of Professional Colon Hydrotherapists. To register for training, you'll need either a qualification in conventional healthcare like nursing, physiotherapy or medicine plus 2 years' professional experience or a qualification in a body-based therapy like acupuncture, osteopathy or nutrition plus 2 years' experience as a therapist.
It could be helpful for you to join the Complementary & Natural Health Care Council, for professional development, training opportunities and to make industry contacts.
With experience, you could run your own practice or work in a variety of settings like health and spa resorts, gyms, salons, and natural health centres. You could also train in other therapies like aromatherapy and massage.