A quick guide to DBS checks - what they are, why you might need one, and how to get one. What’s a DBS check?...
- Use colour to help physical, mental or emotional problems by balancing energy
- Your role may involve evening and weekend appointments to meet the needs of your clients
- Many therapists supplement their income by doing other work alongside colour therapy
- Discussing your client’s needs and colour preferences
- Using stained glass filters, crystals, lighting gels, or coloured silks to apply colour to the whole body, or a specific area of the body
- Setting up a selection of bottles of coloured essence
- Applying the liquid to the skin of the client
- Using meditation and visualisation methods
- Demonstrating and teaching breathing exercises
You could work in a therapy clinic or at a client's home. Colour therapists are usually self-employed and run their own practice. This means you'll choose your own working hours. You may offer evening and weekend appointments to suit your clients.
This role is ideal for someone with excellent verbal communication and active listening skills, a desire to help people and sensitivity and understanding.
Colour therapy may sometimes be included as part of a broader complementary or holistic therapy course, like the Level 2 or Level 3 Diploma in Complementary Therapies.
You'll find it helpful to have experience or qualifications in counselling, anatomy or physiology and experience of working in a caring profession.
You could also do a short course with a private training provider that offers qualifications in colour therapy.
Colour therapy is an unregulated area of complementary medicine. You can increase your career prospects by joining a professional body, like the International Association of Natural Medicine or the British Register for Complementary Practitioners. The British Register is administered by the Institute for Complementary and Natural Medicine.
As a self-employed therapist, your success will depend on your ability to network and build a good reputation and client base. You could move into practising other therapies or training other therapists.