- Provide a door-to-door service for people who can't easily use public transport
- Option to move into other areas of driving, or, with further training, into vehicle maintenance and repair
- Passengers may need transport from early in the morning to late in the evening
- Planning the best route
- Follow transport timetables
- Lifting and helping passengers on and off, sometimes using a tail lift
- Performing basic vehicle maintenance checks
- Keeping the vehicle tidy between journeys
You'll need to be flexible as passengers may need transport from early in the morning to late in the evening. Most of your time will be spent in the vehicle. You may be provided with a uniform.
This role is ideal for someone who enjoys driving, working with others and has good communication skills.
You'll need to be at least 17 years old to drive a car and 21 years old to drive a minibus. You'll need a category D licence to drive larger passenger carrying vehicles (PCVs) with more than 9 seats. You must also have a full UK or EU driving licence, held for at least 12 months and pass enhanced background checks.
Experience in customer care, healthcare or social work will be useful. It will also help if you have an understanding of disability needs as many of your passengers will be disabled.
It may be possible to apply directly if you have relevant skills and knowledge, although your employer will give you training. If you have previously worked with vulnerable children or adults, or have driving experience and a clean licence you may be able to work as a volunteer driver.
Alternatively you could do a passenger transport driver intermediate apprenticeship which will usually take 12 months to complete. You'll do on the job training and spend time with a college or training provider. You'll need to be 18 and must hold a valid UK driving licence, at least Category B (car driving licence) for this apprenticeship.
With experience, you could progress to operations or service manager. With the right licence, you could also move into other areas of driving, or, with further training, into vehicle maintenance and repair.