If you or anyone in your team are looking for financial training and qualifications that boost your chances of exam suc...
- Visit customers to collect loan repayments
- You'll need confidence, the ability to communicate well, and calmness under pressure
- Your role will involve a lot of time spent travelling between customers
As a debt collector, you'll collect unpaid debts of all types: credit card debt, medical debt, car loan debt, personal loan debt, business debt, student loan debt, and even unpaid utility and mobile phone bills.
- Planning your daily work schedule
- Travelling to customers' homes or businesses
- Collecting repayments
- Updating customer records
- Advising customers about repayment plans
- Providing sales target reports for managers
- Dealing with customer issues or complaints
Income is often based on commission and varies depending on the number of customers you have. You'll manage your own time and appointments. You'll often work evenings and weekends to visit people at home. You'll spend a lot of time travelling between customers, some employers may offer a car and fuel allowance.
This role would be ideal for someone with negotiation skills, and the ability to explain financial matters clearly and work to strict deadlines.
There are no set entry requirements. You can apply directly to be a credit controller, as many large companies will train you on the job.
The qualifications and experience you'll need will vary, but most employers will expect you to have the ability to use spreadsheets and computerised accounts packages and experience of office administration or customer service work. A qualification in bookkeeping or accounts can also be useful.
Previous experience in finance or customer service is helpful but not essential, as you'll often be trained on the job.
You'll need a full driving licence and your own vehicle to travel between customers.
With experience and professional qualifications, you could be promoted to credit manager. You could also start your own collection agency or set up as a freelance debt collection agent.