Job type

Energy engineer

£20k - £80k

Typical salary

41 – 43

Hours per week

Energy engineers research, design and build power generation plants, and work in the oil and gas industry.

More info

  • Help shape the future of how we generate and manage energy resources and supplies
  • Use your problem-solving skills to develop new energy solutions and make existing ones more efficient
  • Opportunities to work for large companies, start-ups or on a freelance basis

As an energy engineer you may work on gas and oil extraction and producing energy from renewable or sustainable sources.


  • Research and design new generating sites
  • Decide on the best locations for sites
  • Plan and oversee production programmes for sites
  • Manage and coordinate teams of technicians or site workers
  • Design and select equipment
  • Meet environmental standards like carbon reduction targets
  • Find the most cost-efficient and productive processes
  • Carry out laboratory experiment
  • Convert experiments into large-scale industrial processes
  • Work with geologists, geophysicists and specialist contractors
  • Manage projects and budgets


If you work on a site like an offshore wind farm or drilling platform, you may work on a shift basis, including nights and weekends. If you work onshore, it's usually in offices and laboratories with visits out to sites. Some jobs may involve international travel and long stays away from home.

You'll need

For this role you'll need problem-solving ability, excellent mathematical and computer skills, the ability to manage projects, budgets and people, and communication and teamworking skills.

You'll usually need a degree in an engineering or a scientific subject. Some employers may expect you to have a postgraduate qualification. Relevant subjects include mining or petroleum engineering, energy engineering, Earth sciences, environmental engineering and renewable or sustainable energy.

If you're interested in postgraduate research and want to continue your studies up to PhD level, you may be able to apply for a course like an EngD. These courses are offered by the Industrial Doctoral Centre for Offshore Renewable Energy. You would be sponsored by a company to research offshore technologies for wind, wave and tidal power.

You'll usually need 3 A levels including maths and either biology, physics or chemistry for theses degrees.

You may also be able to start by doing a degree apprenticeship in power or nuclear engineering.


With experience, you could move into planning, policy development, or freelance consultancy.