What are transferable skills and why do you need them? What does it mean to be employable today and in the future?...
- Use your business knowledge and passion for gaming to set up or manage an Esports team
- Your success will depend on the team and what they achieve competitively
- This is a growing industry with lots of emerging opportunities and the chance to travel
Esports team owners are often entrepreneurial individuals who start their own Esports teams and manage them commercially.
- Control costs, revenues and budgets
- Hire and manage team members
- Oversee marketing and deal negotiations
You may have to work at weekends, or during evenings.
There are no set requirements for this kind of role, but you'll need a passion for gaming coupled with a strong understanding of how Esports works as a commercial industry. Seeking work experience with an existing team is a good place to start, and you may want to study for qualifications in business management to help you gain the skills you need to create or manage an organisation.
Successful team owners might go on to sell their teams to a larger existing brand - or build their own business to include multiple teams and Esports.
There are also opportunities to work as a commercial team manager for an Esports team as a salaried member of staff. This role is very much focused on the business of Esports and, like in other types of businesses, you'll need to manage all aspects of the day-to-day running of the operation.