Job type

Housing officer

£21k - £35k

Typical salary

37 – 39

Hours per week

Housing officers look after rented properties for local authorities and housing associations.

More info

  • Help people in need of housing find a place to live, and work to ensure properties are managed effectively
  • You may work with people in difficult circumstances to find solutions that help them
  • You'll be organised and efficient, with the ability to manage budgets, people and teams

As a housing officer, you could work for a local authority, a housing association or a charity like Shelter. You could also work for a university or property company.


  • Assessing the needs of people applying for housing
  • Giving people vacant accommodation
  • Carrying out regular inspections
  • Dealing with anti-social behaviour and broken tenancy agreements
  • Referring people to advice on benefits and welfare
  • Setting rents and dealing with payments and arrears
  • Gathering statistical information and preparing reports
  • Attending meetings
  • Arranging for things like broken lifts and boilers to be repaired
  • Working with other agencies like social services


You may need to work evenings, for example to attend tenants' meetings. You'll work either at a client's home or in an office.

You'll need

To be a housing officer, you'll need customer service, business management and administration skills, thoroughness and attention to detail, knowledge of economics and accounting, patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations, the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure, and to work well with others.

You could complete a foundation degree or degree in housing studies, social policy or building surveying.

You can do a college course like the Level 2 or 3 Certificate in Housing. Or you could take a housing property assistant intermediate apprenticeship and then a housing and property management advanced apprenticeship.

You might be able to start as a housing or admin assistant and work your way up, doing on the job training leading to a qualification like the Level 2 or 3 Certificate in Housing Practice, offered by the Chartered Institute of Housing.

Direct application might be possible to a local authority or housing association for a place on a graduate training scheme, if you have a degree.


With experience you could specialise in an area of housing like homelessness or anti-social behaviour. You could also move into management and become a senior housing officer, regional manager, head of service or director.