- Service and repair motorbikes, scooters and quad bikes
- Requires the ability to work well with your hands & complex problem-solving skills
- Start your own sales & repair business or specialise in customised bike building
Motorcycle mechanics are often classified as small engine mechanics. They are responsible for a wide range of maintenance and repair issues for motorcycles, motor scooters, all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes, and mopeds.
- Carrying out maintenance checks
- Diagnosing mechanical and electrical faults
- Repairing faults and road testing motorcycles
- Stripping, rebuilding and tuning engines
- Advising customers on repair times and costs
- Updating repair and service records
- Customising motorcycles to match customers' needs
You could work at a garage or in a workshop. Your working environment may be noisy and dirty and you may need to wear protective clothing.
This role would be ideal for someone who enjoys working with their hands, has complex problem-solving skills and pays attention to detail.
There are no set entry requirements for this role but you'll usually need a valid motorcycle licence.
You can apply directly to employers if you've got some experience of mechanical engineering or repairing vehicles.
You'll find it useful to contact a local workshop or garage for work experience. You can also volunteer to work at road racing or motocross events organised by Auto-Cycle Union and AMCA.
You could do a college course, which would teach you some of the skills you need in this job. Relevant courses include a Level 2 and Level 3 Diploma in Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair Competence.
Alternatively, you can complete an intermediate or advanced apprenticeship as a motorcycle mechanic.
You could join the Institute of the Motor Industry for professional development and training opportunities.
You could become a motorcycle diagnostic technician, workshop manager or train for a career as a motorcycle MOT examiner. You could also start your own sales and repair business or specialise in customised bike building.