A quick guide to DBS checks - what they are, why you might need one, and how to get one. What’s a DBS check?...
- Make sure schools and other education environments are providing good quality services
- You'll need to gain experience of working in education first - normally as a senior teacher or head
- You'll normally work for the government, but could be a self-employed contractor
As a school inspector, you'll be employed directly by Ofsted as an HMI (Her Majesty's Inspector), or regulatory inspector. As an HMI, you'll take on lead inspector and team inspector roles, working in schools, further education and skills, children and families services, or early years and childcare.
- Getting ready for inspections by reading briefings
- Talking to staff about previous development plans and progress
- Finding out the views of other professionals, children and parents
- Observing and rating teaching or care provision against national standards
- Checking the welfare and development of the children
- Recording what you see and hear
- Making sure premises are suitable, giving information and evidence to team meetings
- Producing detailed written reports
- Giving feedback to the education or children's service provider
You could be working from home, at a college or a school.
As a school inspector, you'll need the ability to work on your own, thoroughness and attention to detail, thinking and reasoning skills, excellent written and verbal communication, skills in active listening and analytical thinking, patience in stressful situations, and basic computer skills with knowledge of the main software packages.
You can apply directly to become an inspector if you've got a degree in a subject like education, childcare or social work, a qualified teacher status (QTS), a track record of improving standards and services, and up-to-date knowledge of the job, including recent developments and statutory requirements. You'll also need at least 5 years' experience of leadership in a job like headteacher or senior manager in children's services to become an HMI.
With experience as an HMI, you could become a senior HMI or regional director. Regulatory inspectors may also become regulatory inspection managers or HMI. You could also use your knowledge and experience to move into a senior role within your own area of work.