Job type

Tanker driver

£35k - £100k

Typical salary

50 – 52

Hours per week

Tanker drivers transport bulk materials and liquids by road.

More info

  • Drive for a living, transporting bulk materials and liquids by road
  • You'll need to follow delivery instructions and stay alert for long periods
  • You could specialise in transporting particular materials or set up your own business

As a tanker driver you'll be responsible for transporting materials like milk, petrol, or sugar around the country or overseas.


  • Checking delivery schedules and noting any special instructions
  • Supervising or helping to load the tanker
  • Carrying out safety checks before you set off travelling to the delivery site
  • Clearing an area to unload the tanker
  • Connecting hoses or pumps, or removing manhole covers to unload materials into fuel tanks or storage silos
  • Updating paperwork and making sure relevant staff sign for deliveries
  • Keeping accurate records of driving hours and activities using a tachograph system


You may work long hours and many jobs include shift work, which can mean some driving at night or at weekends. You may also drive loads from the UK to Europe, if your employer has overseas contracts.

The job is physically demanding and you'll need to concentrate for long periods.

You'll need

To become a tanker driver you'll need the ability to follow delivery instructions, the ability to stay alert for long periods, and excellent time management skills.

You'll also need to gain a large goods vehicle (LGV) licence, build up between 1 and 2 years' experience of driving lorries, and gain the Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC).
If you don't have the required licences, you can start off as a 'crew' person, accompanying a qualified driver while you train.

You can also get into this job through an intermediate apprenticeship as a large goods vehicle driver.

You can take private training to get your large goods vehicle (LGV) licence and the Certificate of Professional Competence, known as a Driver CPC.

You'll also need to complete ADR training to carry dangerous goods like chemicals. ADR is the shortened name for the European Agreement on the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road.

You can find LGV and ADR training providers through the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training. It's recommended that you compare several providers before signing up, to see what they offer and to make sure it fits your needs.


With experience, you could specialise in transporting particular loads or set up your own haulier business. You could also move into transport and freight planning, driver instructor training, or distribution or haulage management.