Job type

Technical surveyor

£18k - £28k

Typical salary

37 – 47

Hours per week

Technical surveyors carry out technical work to support chartered surveyors, architects, and engineers.

More info

  • Highly technical work, helping deliver major building projects and developments
  • You'll need excellent problem-solving, organisation, maths & IT skills
  • Opportunities to progress into senior technical roles or switch into management or self-employment

As a technical surveyor you'll normally work with architects, engineers, or chartered surveyors, helping to make sure building projects are planned and delivered successfully.


  • Drafting plans using CAD software
  • Estimating and drawing up project costs
  • Gathering and analysing data for plans and reports
  • Assisting with environmental impact assessments
  • Surveying buildings or mapping land use
  • Valuing land, property and machinery
  • Organising the sale of assets by auction
  • Supervising construction operatives on site
  • Scheduling workloads
  • Monitoring the progress of projects


Early starts, late finishes and weekend work can be common, depending on the project, and your time will often be split between office and on-site work.

You'll need

For this role you'll need excellent problem-solving skills, maths skills, IT skills, especially for computer-aided design (CAD) work, communication and negotiation skills.

To get started you could do a surveying technician advanced apprenticeship or a construction quality surveying technician higher apprenticeship. Or you could do a relevant foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in a subject like construction, building surveying, civil engineering then apply for jobs.

Alternatively, you could take a college course to learn some of the skills needed for the job, which may help when applying for a trainee position. Relevant courses include a Level 3 Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment, Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Surveying, and Level 3 Diploma in Civil Engineering for Technicians. You could also do a T level in Design, Surveying and Planning.


With experience, you could become a self-employed consultant, or go into partnership with a chartered surveyor. Or, you could train to become a a chartered surveyor, move into a managerial role, or into a related job like town planner or wayleave officer, where you'll negotiate land purchase and access arrangements for utility companies.