Come join the team and make a real difference by volunteering at a Cancer Research UK shop. The items in our shops raise vital funds for research into beating cancer. It wouldn’t be possible without volunteers like you.
You’ll gain valuable skills to help develop your CV and experience. And you’ll get the chance to meet new people across your community.
No matter how you choose to get involved, there’s lots of opportunities waiting for you.
You don’t need any experience to volunteer
You just need to be motivated, hardworking and enjoy working as part of a team.
There are many different roles within the shop you can choose from and there's also no minimum time commitment.
The minimum age for volunteering in our shops is 18
If you are aged between 16 -18 you may still be able to volunteer in our shops but you must be on a recognised scheme, for example the Duke of Edinburgh.
What do shop volunteers do?
Typical volunteering tasks in our charity shops include:
- Serving customers, taking cash and providing good all-round customer service
- Sorting through donated items and pricing stock
- Working on window and shop displays
- Keeping the shop tidy, clean and well organised
- Interacting with the general public
- Fill in the application form
- You'll get an email, discussing your application
- Shop manager gets in touch
- You're Done! Meet the team and start volunteering!
Why should I volunteer?
- Volunteering in one of our shops will give you experience such as teamwork, communication and using your initiative.
- You can boost your CV by working towards an NVQ in Retail with Derby College and we'll also provide you with a reference.
- It will allow you to get involved in your local community and to meet new friends.
- The team will be there to support and encourage you to boost your confidence.
- If you or a loved one has been affected by cancer, it's a great way to give your time to help a worthwhile cause.
- It's fun - you'll gain real satisfaction from working as part of a team.