- Provide advice on beauty products and sell them to customers
- Work in a department store, airport departure lounge, hotel, on a cruise liner, or work from home for a cosmetics company
- Requires sales skills and the ability to meet targets and use the cosmetics you are promoting
As a beauty consultant, you'll sell beauty products and help customers choose the right products to buy.
- Recommending products to suit each customer
- Meeting sales targets
- Keeping up to date with new products
- Giving customers a makeover
- Monitoring stock levels and re-ordering items
- Keeping records
- Handling cash and card payments
Your salary could increase with commission. You could work in a department store, in a beauty clinic or work from home for a cosmetics company. You could also work in an airport departure lounge, on a cruise liner or in a hotel. If you're working in a department store, you'll usually work 37 to 40 hours a week, with some weekends and evenings. You'll usually work at a cosmetics counter and spend most of your time standing up to serve customers. You'll usually wear a company uniform and use the cosmetics you're promoting.
The ideal person for this role will have excellent customer service skills and a good knowledge of a wide range of beauty products.
There are no set requirements for this role, however, sales and customer service skills are helpful.
A qualification in retail, sales or customer service, or training in beauty therapy might be helpful but not essential, as your personal qualities are often more important than your qualifications for this particular role.
You could study for a Level 2 Certificate in Beauty Consultancy Services, a Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy, a general qualification in retail, sales or customer service, or you could do an intermediate apprenticeship as a beauty make-up consultant.
You could work in retail sales, and then apply for a consultant's position with a beauty concession in a department store.
With experience and further training you could move into management.