Job type

Cavity insulation installer

£17k - £32k

Typical salary

42 – 44

Hours per week

Cavity insulation installers fit insulation and soundproofing materials in buildings.

More info

  • Install cavity wall insulation in homes and businesses
  • With experience, set up your own installation business or move into wider construction trades
  • This role can be physically demanding and may require you to work at height and in cramped conditions

Cavity wall insulation installers conduct surveys and inject or insert insulation materials into properties, either as part of a new build or as a retrofit.


  • Carry out and write up pre-installation surveys
  • Mark out ventilation, wiring and pipework ducts in walls
  • Seal openings like air vents
  • Work out the volume of space to be filled and the amount of insulation needed
  • Drill holes into the walls of a building
  • Inject insulation materials into cavity spaces through the holes in a specific order
  • Re-fill the holes and re-point mortar
  • Check all air bricks and flues are clear
  • Make sure materials and methods used meet building regulations


As a cavity insulation installer you could work at a private house or in a commercial building. Your working environment may be at height, cramped and physically demanding.

You'll need

This role is ideal for someone that is thorough and pays attention to detail, has the ability to use their initiative and has persistence and determination.

There are no set entry requirements if you are applying for work, but employers may ask for GCSEs in subjects like Maths, English, or Design and Technology. Experience in construction, for example brickwork, lagging or cladding could be useful.

Although not essential, you could do a college course, which may help when you look for a trainee job after you finish. Courses include, level 1 Award in Construction Crafts, level 2 Certificate in Construction Operations and level 2 Certificate in Construction and Building Crafts. There is also a Level 2 Diploma in Building Insulation Treatments.

You could also complete an intermediate apprenticeship in construction insulation and building treatments, or a thermal insulation operative intermediate apprenticeship.

You'll need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card or equivalent to train and work on a construction site, and some employers may ask for you to have a driving licence.


With experience, you could become a team leader or estimator, set up your own installation business, or move into wider construction trades.