Job type

Dry liner

£17k - £30k

Typical salary

42 – 44

Hours per week

Dry liners use plasterboard panels to build internal walls, suspended ceilings and raised flooring in houses, offices and shops.

More info

  • Learn a key trade and work in the construction industry
  • Work for large companies or become self-employed
  • Physically demanding work and a team environment

Dry lining methods are used to create the walls and rooms in a building. They also hide wires and pipes, improve a room's acoustics, create space for insulation and smooth out uneven walls during renovation work.


Your work will involve a 'fixing' stage, followed by a 'finishing' stage. At the 'fixing' stage, you'll:

  • Measure and cut plasterboard to the right sizes and angles
  • Fix panels to timber, metal frames or ceiling joists using special studs
  • Cut panels to fit around doorways
  • Create openings for windows

You'll then 'finish' the walls by:

  • Sealing joints using filler or adhesive
  • Taping over the seal either by hand or with a taping machine
  • Applying a thin layer of plaster over the tape (skimming)
  • Sanding down the area ready for painting and decorating


You may have to work evenings, nights or weekends on commercial contracts, to limit disruption to your client's business. The work can be physically demanding. You'll work at height, from ladders or a small scaffold when fitting ceilings. You may need a driving licence.

You'll need

For this role you'll need good practical skills, good maths skills for working out surface areas and angles, accuracy and attention to detail, and the ability to read technical diagrams.

There are no set entry requirements, but GCSEs in English and maths may be helpful.

You could get into this job by joining a company as a dry liner's labourer or 'mate' and once working, your employer may be willing to put you through training towards industry qualifications.

You may also be able to get into this career by completing a construction specialist interior systems intermediate apprenticeship.

You could take a college course to get some of the skills needed in this job such as a Level 1 Award in Dry Lining Operations and a Level 2 Diploma in Dry Lining.

You could apply directly if you've got experience in woodworking or working as a building operative.

You'll need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card or equivalent to train and work on a construction site.


With experience, you could become a site supervisor, estimator or dry lining quantity surveyor. You could also set up your own dry lining business.