In the process of making a decision about your future? If you can't decide whether to go to university, do an apprenti...
- Mix together dialogue, sound effects, and music to form the soundtrack for film, tv, and video productions
- You'll need excellent attention to detail, technical skills, and excellent hearing to differentiate between sounds
- Most dubbing mixers are freelancers and work from project to project
As a dubbing mixer or re-recording mixer you'll be part of the post-production phase of making tv, film, or video productions.//=nl2br( $texts['main'] )?> //=$texts['hidden'];?>
- Bring together the audio for the actors' voices, foley (everyday background sounds), sound effects, and music
- Edit them together to form a final audio track where all the elements are blended and balanced correctly
You'll work as part of a team with other post-production specialists to prepare the final film or show for screening. You'll often work in intensive bursts as the productions you are working on reach their deadlines for audience previews, and you might spend several long days in a row in a dubbing studio working with mixing consoles to smooth out the sound and balance the volume and tone. After the previews you might then spend further time finalising the soundtrack and bringing it up to the highest quality surround sound standards required for cinematic screening and broadcast.
There are no set requirements for this kind of role, other than building up relevant experience and knowledge of the techniques required to do the job. Studying film or TV production, music technology, or sound engineering may help you gain the skills you need, or working on amateur productions, whether music or film, will help you get an understanding of the equipment and how to mix audio together.
Many dubbing mixers will start out as a runner in the TV or film industry and gradually build up their skills and experience before specialising in this area.
Many dubbing mixers are freelancers and work from project to project, although there are also employment opportunities with audio post-production agencies.