In the process of making a decision about your future? If you can't decide whether to go to university, do an apprenti...
- Operate and manage rides in fairgrounds and theme parks
- Work can be quite physical in some settings, particularly when working with travelling fairs
- In theme parks you may find opportunities to progress into other roles, including management
- Operating and supervising rides
- Making announcements over a public address (PA) system
- Carrying out safety checks on the rides before the park opens
- Carrying out small repairs, and general cleaning work
- With a travelling fair, you'll also dismantle rides and other attractions, loading equipment for transportation and putting up rides at the next site
If working on a long-term contract, you may live on site in a mobile home and travel around the country. Your work will involve long hours and usually include weekends, evenings and shift work. You could be employed just for holiday periods.
This role would be ideal for someone with the ability to follow set instructions and procedures, the ability to keep calm and cope with emergencies, and mechanical and practical skills.
You could apply for maintenance jobs if you've got some experience in mechanical or electrical service and repair work. Employers will prefer you to be 18 or over for insurance purposes.
You may be able to apply at age 16 for seasonal work to operate smaller rides and collect fares.
You could join a theme park or fairground as part of the ticketing and admissions team or catering services. You could then move into operating and maintaining rides as you get more experience and do training on the job.
You could also start by doing a leisure and entertainment maintenance engineering advanced apprenticeship.
A large goods vehicle (LGV) driving licence may also be useful if you’re working in a travelling fair.
With experience, you could progress to a supervisory management post, especially in larger parks.
You could move into other types of work within the fair or theme park, like working in shops and catering outlets, cleaning, security work, and in some cases, caring for and managing animals.