- Manage the shipping of goods to different locations around the world
- With experience and qualifications, become an import-export manager
- Requires excellent organisational ability, and good IT and communication skills
As an import-export clerk, you'll be responsible for the managing and delivering of freight in a domestic setting or internationally.
- Managing freight bookings using a computer system
- Checking order, tax and customs documents are correct
- Working closely with national and international suppliers and agents
- Arranging freight deliveries and collections between ports, airports and warehouses
- Handling invoices and payments
- Keeping clients up to date with progress
- Dealing with any problems or delays
You could work in an office or in a cargo warehouse.
For this role, you'll need knowledge of geography, transport methods, costs and benefits; the ability to accept cricitism and work well under pressure; thoroughness and attention to detail; excellent verbal communication and administration skills; and basic computer knowledge.
You could do a degree before applying to join an organisation's management training scheme. Most subjects are accepted but you may have an advantage if you study transport and distribution management, logistics and supply chain management, business and management, or foreign languages with business studies.
You could do an international freight forwarding advanced apprenticeship.
You might be able to start work as an office assistant in a freight forwarding or logistics department and work your way up through training and promotion, where it might be useful to have office experience and computer skills.
You could also take an introductory course, like the ones offered by The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, and The Institute of Export and International Trade.
You'll find it useful to speak a foreign language if the company operates internationally.
With experience, you could become an import-export manager, a specialist in international trade law, or overseas account manager.