- Sell products and services to customers via the phone
- You'll need excellent communication skills to build trust with customers quickly
- You could progress to become a team leader, senior salesperson or sales manager
- Contacting customers and businesses over the phone promoting products, services and special deals
- Following up sales leads and taking orders
- Updating customer records on computer systems
- Advising customers about delivery times
- Setting up appointments for senior sales staff
- Providing after-sales service
You might need to work shifts that include evenings and weekends. You'll normally be based in an office or call centre and spend most of your time using a computer, but some companies offer working from home.
You're likely to get lots of rejections from potential customers, so you'll need to be resilient, but telesales teams can also be fun, friendly and team-spirited workplaces.
There are no set requirements, but you'll need excellent communication skills to build trust with customers quickly, sales and negotiation skills, IT skills, a well organised approach, determination and focus.
A good standard of general education is important but employers will also want you to have an outgoing and confident personality.
Previous experience in customer service, sales or marketing will be helpful though not essential.
You could also get into this career through an apprenticeship.
With experience, you could become a team leader, senior salesperson or sales manager.