- Fit gas and electricity meters in customers' homes and businesses
- You'll need maths ability, practical skills and organisational skills
- You could become a team leader or set up your own installation business
As a smart meter installer you'll fit gas or electricity smart meters in homes and businesses, to help customers keep track of how much energy they use and reduce their energy use.
- Visiting customers' premises
- Removing the existing meter
- Fitting the new smart meter
- Carrying out tests to make sure the meter is working
- Explaining to the customer how to read the meter and how to get the most from it
- You'll also provide impartial energy efficiency advice to customers
You could work for one of the big energy companies, or for a smaller firm contracted to fit smart meters.
You might be part of a standby rota for jobs outside of normal working hours, which could include weekends. Your employer will usually provide you with a van, so a full UK driving licence is needed. Some sites may be outside, so you'll be expected to work in all weathers.
This role would be ideal for someone with good maths ability, practical skills, organisational skills and communication skills to explain how meters work.
There are no set requirements to start training as a smart meter installer. You may have an advantage if you've got experience and qualifications in a similar area like gas or electricity installation and some employers may prefer you to have a minimum of 3 or 4 GCSEs including maths and English or equivalent qualifications.
You could do a college course to learn some of the skills you need for this job, such as, Level 2 Diploma in Gas Installation or Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation.
Alternitively, you could do an intermediate apprenticeship as a dual fuel meter installer.
With experience, you could become a team leader or estimator, or set up your own installation business. With further training, you could become an energy efficiency consultant, or move into gas or electrical engineering with an energy company.