by Hollie Siddique on 8th Apr 2020 Working from home has recently become the national norm and, luckily fo...
- Lead a team of marketers helping promote organisations to their customers
- You'll oversee a team so will need excellent people skills and the ability to manage budgets and resources
- Opportunities to progress into senior management roles within an organisation, or to become a freelance consultant
As a marketing manager, you'll be in charge of the promotion of products, services and brands.
- Researching and analysing market trends
- Creating marketing and social media strategies
- Planning and managing the launch of new products and services
- Setting budgets, targets and timelines
- Working with in-house or external agencies to produce attractive campaigns that increase business
- Organising and attending events to meet new and existing clients
- Managing budgets and reporting on the effectiveness of campaigns
- Managing a team of marketing executives
You could work for a marketing agency or consultancy, or a marketing department. You'll usually work in an office and may have to travel to meet clients and attend events.
For this role, you'll need the ability to sell products and services, excellent verbal communication skills, good initiative, leadership skills, maths knowledge, business management and customer service skills, and thoroughness and attention to detail.
There are no set entry requirements, so you can apply directly if you've got experience in a related area like sales management, advertising or public relations.
You could do a higher national diploma or degree in marketing, business management, digital marketing, or advertising.
You could do a marketing manager higher or degree apprenticeship.
You can start as a marketing executive and complete a qualification while you're working. Once you've got experience, you could take qualifications offered by professional bodies like The Chartered Institute of Marketing and The Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing to help move you into management jobs.
With experience, you could become a regional manager or marketing director. You could also become a brand or account director. Another option is to become a freelance marketing consultant.